Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Portrait of A Friend

Portrait of A Friend

I can't give solutions to all your
life's problems, doubts, or fears.
But I can listen to you, and together
we will search for the answers.

I can't change your past with
all it's heartache and
pain, or the future
with it's untold stories.
But I can be there now when you
need me to care.

Your joys, triumphs, success, and
happiness are not mine;
Yet I can share in
your laughter.

Your decisions in life are not mine
to make, nor to judge;
I can only support you, encourage you,
and help you when you ask.

I can't prevent you from
falling away from
friendship, from your values, from me.
I can only pray for you, talk to you
and wait for you.

I can't give you boundaries that I
have determined for you,
But I can give you the room to change,
room to grow, room to be yourself.

I can't keep your heart from
breaking and hurting,
But I can cry with you and
help you pick up
the pieces and put them back in place.

I can't tell you
who you are.
I can only love you
and be your friend.

-Author Unknown-